CZECH & SLOVAK
Inaugurated on the occasion of the Czechoslovak participation at La Biennale Arte in 1926, the Czech and Slovak Pavilion in Giardini di Castello in Venice is a late work of one of the most progressive modernist architects of the last century, Otakar Novotný (1880 – 1959). Designed in the functionalist style, with an application of the classical architectural language, the building is based upon a construction of simple geometric forms, echoing the tradition of antiquity. Its location in the proximity to the national pavilions of France, Germany and Great Britain indicates a strong geopolitical inclination of Czechoslovakia as a newly founded state.
Former Uncertain Indicated, 1976